Home » Reading
Category Archives: Reading
RAM MOHAN ROY (1772? -1833) was a great social reformer and educationist hailing from Bengal.
Read and find out more of his life and works.
Ishwar Chandra the great scholar,academician, philosopher and above all a social reformer.
He got married at the age of 14 to Dinamani Devi and had a son named Narayan Chandra.
Narayan Chandra was married to an adolescent widow in 1870. Several such marriages were solemnized with his own money.
He started his career as the Head Pandit in the Sanskrit department in Fort William College,in 1841
After five years in 1846, he joined Sanskrit College as Assistant Secretary. Later he became a Professor and the first Principal of the college in 1851.
Man may not know the right path, but if he has the sincere desire and determination to go forward nothing can prevent him.
Once there was a sincere devotee. He wanted to visit Varanasi, the holy place of lord Shiva. He did not know the way. In those days men had to travel on foot. He went in the southern direction and lost his way. However, he kept asking for the right direction. In course of time, he was able to turn towards the right direction and found the right path. Finally, he reached Varanasi. His strong desire to visit the holy place enabled him to reach his destination. Determination will always win in the end.
Improve your Vocabulary:
Find the antonym for the words given. These are words from the above passage.
|A Man||X||a woman|
Reflect and Discuss on the above passage:
- What does the word ‘pilgrim’ mean?
- Have you heard of ‘pilgrim centers ‘?
- Have you visited any holy place?
- What are the major centers of pilgrimage in your state?
- Do you think that pilgrimages are meant for old people?
- What is the other name for Varanasi?
- Who is the presiding deity at Varanasi?
- Do you know anyone who has overcome obstacles, while trying to go on a pilgrimage?
- What are the two factors necessary to attain one’s objective?
- Have you ever had the desire to obtain or get anything?